Did you know that the month of May is Apraxia Awareness Month? Did you also know that May 14th is Apraxia Awareness day? Well now you do! If your child has apraxia, or a child you know, try to spread awareness to others this month. Not everyone knows or understands what Apraxia is and how it effects children who have it.
What is Childhood Apraxia of Speech? Check out this chart from advanced travel therapy to learn more:
What can you do this month to spread awareness? Apraxia Kids has some great ideas:
- Write a “letter to the editor” to your local paper about Apraxia Awareness Month.
- Request, up to 25, Apraxia Kids brochures. These brochures explain what Childhood Apraxia of Speech is and shows how their programs support children with apraxia.
- Distribute apraxia information to your community! Download the Apraxia Awareness Month post cards from their website.
- Plan an awareness event or organized a community fundraiser! Be the voice in your community.
- When you celebrate Apraxia Awareness Month at your school, work, church, or community event, please encourage everyone to wear blue in support of children with apraxia of speech. Especially on May 14th, Apraxia Awareness Day! Make sure to take photos to share on social media!
- Print out their coloring pages from their website.
- Visit their Pinterest boards.
- Their online store is the ONLY place to shop online where the proceeds of your purchase benefit children with apraxia of speech. Raise awareness by showing off your Apraxia Kids swag. Make sure they can see and amplify your awareness efforts by using the hashtags #apraxiaawareness and #apraxiakids.
- Every child deserves a voice, and your stories help give a voice to families affected by Childhood Apraxia of Speech. For this year’s Apraxia Awareness Month, they want to share your stories with the world. If you are an apraxia blogger, advocate, or just someone with a story to tell, they need you! Check out their website for more details.
- Parents or teachers can read the book “I Want To Be Your Friend” or keep an eye out for their upcoming brochure about classmates and friends of children with apraxia.
- Follow along with their #ApraxiaAwareness Social Media Challenge for the entire month of May! They know that awareness begins with spreading the word far and wide about what Childhood Apraxia of Speech is and how it affects your family. This month-long challenge gives you the opportunity to post about apraxia awareness every day, with some fun prompts!
- Each day you post will be counted as a separate entry into a contest. You may post on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, giving you up to three entries per day, one entry per platform. The drawing is random, so the more days you post, the more entries you have!
- You must use #ApraxiaAwareness in your post for it to qualify as an entry.
- At the end of the month, 3 lucky winners will be randomly chosen to receive a bundle of 3 free on-demand webinars!
- Winners will be contacted on June 1 via direct message on one of the platforms that they used to post submissions. They will have 48 hours to respond and claim their prize before another winner is chosen.
- Join their awareness community for ideas and to share your awareness efforts!
- Share your story on social media using hashtags #apraxiakids and #apraxiaawareness to help spread the word!
- Change your cover image to our official Apraxia Awareness Month banner!
If your child or a loved one has Childhood Apraxia of Speech and are seeking speech therapy, contact Christine Wilson’s office today!