If you’re looking for some new years speech resolutions, check out these resolutions that Christine Wilson suggests:
- Practice projecting the voice from the diaphragm, so vocal hoarseness does not occur.
- Avoid yelling/shouting/or excessive use of the voice for long periods of time. If hoarseness does occur without an infection, try herbal teas and use throat drops to nurture swollen vocal cords. If hoarseness persist, see a speech therapist and consult your ENT.
- Pay attention to the ends of words. Speech can sound much clearer with a sharp ending!
- Improve vocabulary through crossword puzzles, trivia games, and word games.
- Have your hearing checked! Yearly screenings are not just for kids. As we get older, our hearing gets older too.
- Encourage good eye contact and proper speaking distance. The norms for these “suprasegmentals of speech” vary across culture. Sensitivity to personal space and eye gaze send messages about attention and listening.
- Try group discussions. These are helpful for discourse skills.
Christine Wilson is currently accepting new clients. If you are interested, give the office a call today to make an appointment!